Well, here we are–right in the thick of one of the most stressful weeks of the entire holiday season–CHRISTMAS WEEK! With only 2 days left until Christmas, no doubt most of us are running around like a bunch of crazy people shopping, baking, cleaning, and traveling. We’re worried about everyone and everything except the most important person–ourselves.
It’s more important now than ever to remember to take care of yourself. When things get too crazy or you feel like you’re losing your mind and you just want to get away, take a few minutes to calm and center yourself. Here are five ways to help you find a little peace in the midst of all the crazy this week.
1. Take a brief walk and clear your head. If the walls are closing in and you just can’t take it anymore, excuse yourself and go for a walk. Five, ten minutes is enough to clear your mind and regroup; you’ll feel energized and ready to keep going! Try not to focus on anything that will make you more mad or anxious… instead, just clear your mind completely and practice some deep breathing. This walk is for your mental health, not physical exercise, so take it as slow as you need!
2. Meditate. Before I started going to therapy, I thought meditation was just some new-agey, hippie-dippie stuff. I was super skeptical when my therapist suggested it, but I figured “what the heck?” and went with it–and I’m so glad I did! I’ve mentioned meditation a couple of times on the blog (here and here). All you need a minute or 2, and just close your eyes and breathe deep, focusing on the sound of your breath; it doesn’t take much to feel centered and present again.
3. Pray. This one kind of goes hand-in-hand with meditation. I know it seems like a no-brainer, but when things are hectic and you’re feeling anxious, give it to God. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve prayed on the way to pick up the kids after I get off work just for patience, and peace, and for help maintaining my cool with them until they’re in bed. God grants me that peace every time I ask.
4. Take a coffee (or tea!) break. If you’re out and about shopping, or traveling a long distance, don’t forget to stop and get a coffee! Sit down for 10 minutes and enjoy it before you get back to it. DO IT, I’M NOT JOKING!!
5. Give yourself a nightly cutoff time and spend 30 minutes doing something just for you. Instead of cooking and cleaning and wrapping gifts until you collapse into bed, promise yourself (or set an alarm) that you’ll stop at a specific time, and allow yourself 30 minutes to take a bath, read, crochet–whatever you enjoy–before getting into bed. You’ll feel better and have a much better sleep as well.
To help you unwind and relax a little this week, Alissa and I are giving away a $25 gift card for Starbucks. Enter using the Rafflecopter below, and be sure to visit A Journey to Thin and comment on her post as well!
How do you plan to relax and be more present when things get crazy and hectic?