Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Weigh In (7/18) + Staycation

I'm a little late posting this--staycation took priority! In any case, here's last Saturday's weigh in:

As you can see, I was up a bit; I stayed well within my PointsPlus for the week, so I'm sure it's due to the pizza I had for dinner the night before, as well as other random bloat.

I do not, however, have high hopes for this week's weigh in--if I just maintain, I'll be thrilled! Saturday-Monday, I decided I would not track my PointsPlus--the first time I haven't tracked since December! I wanted to simply enjoy myself, and I think I did okay for the most part. I didn't go crazy, and I tried to stay mindful of what and how much I was eating.

Here's a little recap of the weekend:

On Saturday, we left for Texas right after my Weight Watchers meeting. About an hour into the trip, we hit some pretty bad construction traffic which set us back an hour. Poor Karinne had to use the bathroom on the side of the road; once we were finally able to exit and take a detour (we were in the middle of nowhere and the exits were miles apart), we stopped at the first gas station we saw so the adults could pee. Of course, as the fates would have it, the restrooms were closed! We were desperate, and since we couldn't be sure that we'd find another place along the detour, we went behind the building and peed. I really felt at home in the backwoods of Louisiana, let me tell you!

With the traffic and detour, and stopping for lunch, it took us about 8 hours--not terrible! The kids weren't terrible either, so that was a HUGE plus. They were whiney in the beginning, but did much better than I'd feared.

On Sunday, Marc and I packed up and left his parents' house sans kids around 11; we'd meant to leave earlier, by 9:30, but shortly before were planning to leave we realized that the laundry room had completely flooded. Since Marc's dad was already at work, we weren't about to leave his mom with 2 small kids by herself to clean up that mess! Turns out the drain had come out of the washer; Marc's pretty handy, so he was able to fix it. While they worked on the laundry room, I kept an eye on the kids and cleaned up the breakfast dishes and toys.

Finally, we left. FREEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!! (That was definitely a Braveheart yell)

We took our time going home. We stopped when we wanted, enjoyed a sit-down lunch, took some back roads; it was a beautiful day for driving, and we didn't mind one bit! Long drives are much more enjoyable when nobody's bugging you for a toy/snack every 2.68 minutes. 

We arrived back in New Orleans around 7pm; stopped by the house and checked on the cat and grabbed some clothes, and headed to our hotel. It was NIIIIIIICE! We had sushi for dinner, and called it a night around 10pm.

We got up on Monday with a plan of breakfast, pool, World War II Museum (rated one of the top museums in the world), and dinner out. We went to The Ruby Slipper Cafe for breakfast, and it was fantastic!

Eggs Cochon - Biscuit, pork, eggs, hollandaise

Ruby Slipper in the background
I ate half, and took the rest back to the hotel. It was delicious! I love the story behind The Ruby Slipper:

We headed back to the hotel and got ready to go to the pool. Unfortunately, in typical New Orleans fashion, by the time we made it up to the rooftop pool, the sky was gray and a storm was visible in the distance. The wind was also picking up, so it was a bit on the cool side up there. We sat by the pool for a while, until the rain started, then moved under the covered bar area. After a while, we gave up hope that the sky would clear and went back to the room to get dressed and go to the National WWII Museum.

The museum was incredible; we spent 4.5 hours there, and still didn't see everything! It is DEFINITELY worth the admission price. If you come to New Orleans, make sure to go there; I wouldn't bring young children though, as some of the images are quite graphic, and aside from that, it would be pretty boring for them.

We were starving and pretty hangry after that, so we went to Starbucks and had a snack and FaceTimed with the kids for a minute. We hung out for a while, and made our way over to Bayou Burger on Bourbon Street. We wanted to go there because Marc had heard good things about their food, and it offered a prime location for people watching (the best thing about Bourbon Street, amiright?). The balcony was closed, but we were able to get a table right by the giant front window. We shared the Super Tots, and I ordered a beer and the Croquer:

"Bayou Burger’s twist on a French classic…Two burger patties with grilled ham and melted
gruyere cheese with a garlic cream spread on pressed brioche bread topped with a fried egg"
Between the tots and the beer, I was pretty full; the picture shows how much I left behind after I stopped eating. I know it sounds weird from the description, but it was soooo good! I try to be pretty adventurous when I go out to eat, especially at new restaurants that are known for funky food. (FYI, if you check in on Yelp, you get a free appetizer!) 

We walked down Bourbon for a little bit, and then went back to the hotel since I had to get up for work the next day. The next day was Tuesday, and back to reality!

All in all, we had a fantastic time and I thoroughly enjoyed being a tourist in my city.  If you're interested, check out Instagram and Facebook for more pictures from our weekend!


  1. Sounds like a wonderful vacation in your city! We LOVE the WW2 museum. I have a couple posts on my blog about a few day trips we took to NOLA and one in particular where we spent all day at the WW2 Museum! I'll have to try to find it. I love that place. When it first opened back in 2000, one of mine and Chris's very first dates was to go there and to Six Flags - glad we got to do that before Katrina... The Museum was just that main building then. (I totally got to sit in the tank too.. they don't let you get on them now!)

  2. Ok found it but I thought I took more pictures. Eh.. oh well.

  3. Sounds like a wonderful weekend - you and your hubby are adorable. Bummer about the are just going to have to find another occasion to work that bikini.

  4. Hey Christina, I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your lovely vacation with just the two of you. I'm glad you chose not to Points Plus, and just to eat moderately. Counting things ruins the fun! My goal is to learn to eat mindfully and not police myself (that's a long-term goal - I can't do that easily now). NOLA is an amazing city, I visited there about 3 years ago, and wish I had known about these places to go to. Next time, I definitely will!

  5. That sounds like so much fun. I'd love to go to the WWII museum someday.

  6. What a fun trip! I feel you on the food. I hate to order something I could cook at home.


Hi, and thanks for stopping by my little corner of the internet. I'd love to hear from you!